Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cross training

In conversations about running training, people are often impressed at how much I know about the subject; "Jim", they say, "you're full of it!". Sometimes they can't keep up with some of the advanced topics and cry "Enough! I can take no more.".

So.

The topic of how to incorporate the festivities associated with March 14th / 20th and the latter stages of marathon training came up in the course of things. Now I normally don't eat meat (although my girlfriend does), but I thought I'd look into the subject out of professional interest.

Looking for the champion's approach I tried Paula Radcliffe's book. A whole chapter on her fiery relationship with her husband, but nothing on this subject. Next the website: nothing. Even in promisingly titled diary entries. In any case, I'm pretty sure that Paula's ice baths would render me incapable of enjoying the benefits of the March festivities and the long compression socks would make it unlikely that I should get the chance.

If the best in the business have no potted wisdom for us, we need to go back to first principles (i.e. make it up), so I referred back to the training plan I'm following, that advocates "running only 3 days a week, following a specific training plan, and cross-training" and found some pearls.

Well, jig-a-jig certainly isn't running, so it must count as cross-training, and so we have Rule 1: Planning. Spontaneity is all very well and good, but you don't want to blow your chances by failing to limber up properly beforehand, or to stretch afterwards.

Looking further down the Furman plan we find Rule 2: "intensity is the most important factor for improving the physiological processes that determine running performance" and that you should aim to cross-train for 30-45mins. This might leave you with a training shortfall; one idea is to keep a rowing machine handy in the bedroom for the other 25-40mins.

OnOn!

1 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Winston said...

I think it might be a girl contrived trap:
1)You are 9 days too late (I think they switch it on the 19th every year and back soon after - so it never happens)
2)As with steak, is the act of tenderness a beating with spikey wooden hammer?
3)They're a pair, so no steak might rule you out. Put it on your black eye. No black eye? Hang on I'll send a link to PC's hockey team, they'll give you some cross training to remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home