Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Back in the game

I had been getting towards worried about the whole marathon thing - I haven't managed to get out for a long run for a fortnight, what with having man-'flu and drinking copiously. I hadn't been for Sunday mega-sprints like Ed, cake climbing expeditions like Rachel, and I didn't even have a sore ring to show for my troubles like Winston.

My dander was finally lifted this morning, when I left work for an early lunchtime trot out to Hardwick. The route didn't actually get me to Hardwick, as I stuffed up, turning North too early. Fortunately I spotted my mistake, and so did a Queen's Rd-Grange Rd loop at the end as penance. I tried a new (to me) energy gel; High 5 Citrus Burst. Whilst you wouldn't eat them for pleasure, it didn't make me want to retch, unlike the toffee flavoured ones I've tried before. So that's all good.

I generally eschew (forget) modern fandangalances such as wrist watches while I'm running, so I can't draw pretty graphs, but it took me 110mins to cover the 24.8km, which I'm happy with.

It seems that the vogue is to moan about hills this week, and I'm not one to break a trend. The hills, Oh God, the hills! (Notice the use of the plural there - there were two!!!). If only I had a GPS to show you! Instead, I've produced this multimedia animation of the route's height profile, just mouse over to start the animation, it lasts about 20s.


(Scale: x - 1:5,000,000,000. y - 1:1)

By the way, fellow marahashers, if you don't already have a feed reader, why not get one, and set it up with the feed address at the bottom of the right hand bar, then you can see when people post here without having to load the site. Try googling for "atom feed reader" or something like that for software.

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger FriendToGeoff said...

Can you do me a real time version of the animation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home