Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Compare and contrast.....

On Saturday morning Ed, Jim and I turned out at about 10am, just as it started to snow. We did about 10.5 miles. I got this email from Steve in Sydney:
Subject: Uh-oh ...

I was up at 5am this morning, picked-up at 5.40am and driven across the harbour for the start of this year's first 30km STaR (Sunday Training Run). This was probably the first time I've run more than 12km since the last Paris marathon. There was an amazing turn-out, perhaps sixty people ... which is pretty good given the alternative options on a Sunday morning.

Well, just for a change it was hot again, even at 6.00am .... and the hills. My God there wasn't more than 100m of flat in the whole damn thing. Up and down, and up and down, and up and down, and .... you get the picture. I was dying. I had a bowl of muesli half an hour before kick-off and that was probably a bad idea. I took a short-cut that reduced the distance to just 25km but even the, at the end I had nothing. I was walking up the hills ! At one stage towards the end, a fellow runner asked me which suburb I live in, and I couldn't remember. I couldn't remember where I live .... and Paris is just three months away. On the plus side I pulled-up without any injuries, and after a couple of cans of ice cold Coke I felt OK.

So ... interval training Tuesday lunchtime, 10km on Wednesday morning, something similar on Friday night and then 30km every Sunday ... that's the plan, about 60km a week.

Steve
Well, just for a change it was cold again, even at 11am.... and the hills! My god, there weren't any. There wasn't more than a couple of meters of rise and fall in the whole damn thing. Flat and flat and flat......... In fact that might explain the damn mud.

Many of the tracks around Quy and Lode were deeply muddy, maybe due to tractors, maybe due to big vehicles used to refurbish the electricity pylons thereabouts. We got very muddy and cold.


Only about 400 training miles before Paris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home