Friday, January 05, 2007

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

Last run: 6 miles (this evening)
Days to FLM: 108
Alert status: Amber (Don't panic, Captain Mannering)

It has been pointed out to me that my contributions to this blog may be a little, ummm, tangential to its main point. However, 'write what you know' is a sound maxim in life, and since what I know at the moment is mostly a) the arse end of a baby and b) the inside of a washing machine, you lot are getting off lightly.

Still, I like to rise to a challenge and as it happens, Christmas marked a bit of a running related milestone when I looked at the Runner's World intermediate marathon schedule and realised that week 1 was suddenly relevant. Unfortunately this revelation coincided with three weeks of inactivity which have largely put me back to square one as far as base fitness is concerned, so I need to proceed with some caution. Which provided me with a splendid excuse for avoiding the frankly unappealing combination of 70mph winds, hail and 1:4 sheep tracks when in the Lake District, in favour of a warm fire, Jim's excellent pate and another viewing of Audrey Hepburn's bizarre 'Cockerney' accent in My Fair Lady.

Back to Cambridge and time, and my excuses, have run out. Once again Runner's World shall become my bible, I shall obsess unhealthily about the exact distance between two points on the river, and not only will my brain be writing cheques my body can't cash, but my knees will be maxing out their credit cards and my hips filing for bankruptcy.

And once again I shall spend much of my life stuffing dirty kit into a washing machine. Which is sort of where I came in, really....

3 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

70MPH winds? And you went _running_? D'oh!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Hermione said...

Ah, no, not me - I think you're confusing me with Ed or Jim, who naturally couldn't think of anything better than a 7 mile run up shitty sheep tracks in a howling gale.

In contrast, I spent the weekend indoors, eating, drinking and patting the occasional baby on the head.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Winston said...

I think Jeremy has in mind that you should have been smashing yourself into breakers and coral on a windsurfer(with Kit in BabySurfer(TM)towed behind).

A small concern. Should the "kit" in "stuffing dirty kit into a washing machine" have an upper case "K" or a lower case "k"?

Social Services Direct? Hello? Hello?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home