Thursday, February 22, 2007

What would you do?

Official physio of the Cantabrigensis Par-Marahashing team, Raoul, had his way with me last week (ahem). In fact it sounds like he's having his way with half the team at the moment. Following a tired 18 mile trot with Winst and Stuie, my calf went twang. When it hurts, the obvious thing to do is run it off on a Monday hash, right? So by Thursday last week I felt compelled to let Raoul get his thumbs in. It started OK, Raoul was gentle on the calf compared to Barely Legal. But then he happened upon my secret shin splints. And wandered up my legs to my lower back, and eventually saw to kneading my buttocks with his elbow.

Why am I telling you this? I don't know. The trauma I expect. I was in bits. Apparently I have no core strength, am overpronating through my uber-anti-overpronating trainers, and am horribly lop-sided. Which is all very well, but I've got a marathon to run. So I did the sensible thing and listened to my inner laziness and did nothing for 5 days. Then I tentatively went for a run, and here I am a week on. Calf is fine. Shin splints fully outed and back still sore. But I'm OK really.

So this afternoon I spoke to Raoul and told him my plan to run Bury 20 on Sunday. And he laughed, and I felt silly. And we negotiated, and he said I could do the 10 miler and see him again on Monday. And I thought, oh OK, what am I always telling BL...better to rest and get better than make things worse. But then I went to the gym and did some speed training and I feel fine!! Great in fact. So....what would you do?

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jim said...

A wise man once said to me that the truth is often found at the bottom of a pint of Nero.

That man was not a physiotherapist.

You don't need the miles badly enough to risk stuffing yourself up.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Winston said...

>So....what would you do?

Gosh.
Well.
None of this "gentle...wandered up my legs to my lower back" tosh, it read like a Mills & Boon. I think a vigorous pounding, all over, with both elbows and a knee, maybe until something breaks, a finger perhaps.

Remember, pain is just weakness leaving your body.

If Raoul, botty fondler to the stars, had done that you'd at least say you were fixed, rather than risk a return visit. Ask Jim, I think Raoul got medieval on his calves last year. Does he need physio now? No! no no no no....

So pop over, 6pm?
no-no
W

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jim said...

At least getting physio gives you plenty of material for the other therapist:

"Bad man. Hurt me"

"Was it good touch, or bad touch"

"Bad touch"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home