Thursday, February 10, 2011

A modest proposal

So this morning I was getting dressed when I remembered that I had to take our PR agency out for a nice lunch (PRs, like toddlers, behave much better when well fed).  The first thought that crossed my mind was: 'Oh bugger, I wanted to do those hill sprints at lunchtime.'

This is what is known in the trade as a Prioritisation Fail.  Something that marahashers seem particularly prone to.

The classic example is, of course, spending sunday morning redistributing shiggy up and down the fens north of Bottisham, rather than lounging in bed with a pain au chocolat and a loved one, but I have observed many other manifestations of the phenomenon over the years - purchase of ill advised lycra over much needed sensible trousers, choice of holiday destination by availability of flat, off road routes and/or decent physiotherapists, a tolerable level of child neglect.

This year, uniquely, I am experiencing Prioritisation Fail by Proxy.  The mysterious arrival of an entry for the London Marathon 5 months after the less mysterious arrival of child 3 (provisionally labelled The Dowry Problem) can only be attributed to someone waking up and genuinely thinking: 'I know what Hermione would like more than anything right now.  More than, say, a week at Babington House or a free pass around Rigby & Peller's more avant guarde collection, what she really wants an entry in the London Marathon!'

Sigh.

Still, I am not alone.  I know there are a number of marahashers out there, doing the marahash thing over the next few months.  Maybe it's time to pull up the chairs into a supportive online circle and start the talking cure?

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Steve said...

At least you have recognised and accepted that you have a problem. That is perhaps the most important step on the path to redemption.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Jim said...

My name is Jim, and I'm a marahasher. It's 3 years since my last marathon and I'm ... I'm feeling good. I occasionally get the urge, but I've got great support from my pub chums. I just take it one season at a time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home